After a long and somewhat boring winter, spring has come once again. So, I decided to rearrange my outdoor patio setup. I was about to get it done until I noticed the cushion fabric. It looked dingy, dusty, and stained.
I couldn’t help but clean patio cushions. I used patio furniture cleaner for this purpose. Also, I used different techniques to remove the stain from it. I thought this might help you. So, I am putting my steps and tips on how to clean patio furniture cushions right up here.
The discussion includes a step to clean the patio fabric and eliminate various stains, including mildew, grass or oil stain, and even tree sap. So, let’s get on with it.
Why Should You Clean Patio Furniture Cushions?
When winter approaches, we naturally store patio cushions for use in the next season. So, you may ask about the importance of cleaning outdoor patio cushions. Well, you should clean the patio cushions when you store them after a long summer.
Often, grime, food particles, and even pet poop stick to the cushion, which gets unnoticed. But, during the storage period, you need to check the fabric carefully and see its conditions. Even if you don’t notice any dingy or dusty marks on it, wash it for better durability.
If you store patio cushions without cleaning them, the soaked odor and sweat will most likely buildup bacteria inside and ruin the color and look of the cushion. Also, at times you may leave the cushion uncovered for a long time (many people do it even during winter when they rarely use the outdoor area), which will also leave stains, residual marks, and other spots on the patio cushion.
Also, untreated patio cushions can become smelly. It is a seriously annoying fact, especially if your guests can sense such smells. So, cleaning the patio cushion is a must.
It would be best if you washed patio cushions to remove such dinginess and grime. It will elevate the look and freshness of the cushion. Plus, a cleaner cushion fabric is most likely to last longer than a dirty and stained fabric.
How To Clean Patio Furniture Cushions: Cleaning Canvas Furniture
A patio cushion upholds its beauty. Also, you will lean on it as you relax on the patio. So, a dirty-looking cushion with stains of oil, tea, or coffee may ruin its look and make you feel low. But, you can clean patio cushions to get rid of such problems.
Firstly, we will discuss the steps to clean canvas patio furniture since it is the most common cushion type in outdoor spaces.
You will need the following things for the patio cushion cleaning purpose-
- Patio cushion cleaner ( Alternatively, laundry detergent)
- A mid to large-sized bucket or tub
- Plastic wrap
- Soft-bristled brush (Made of nylon scrub)
- Garden hose
- Powdered bleach ( Use the oxygen-based one)
Once you have collected all the cleaning items, you can start cleaning off the patio furniture cushions. The steps include-
Step 1: Remove the cushion cover ad prepare the cleaning spot
Firstly, spread the plastic wrap in a spacious area. You can choose the lawn or any outdoor space for it. Or, you may even choose to work inside the washroom or any indoor faucet to get the cushion cleaning job done.
Unzip the cushions and remove the canvas cover. Keep them on the tarp and observe. It is likely to get affected by different stains. You need to choose particular cleaning methods to remove specific stains (covered in the following section).
Step 2: Preparing the cleaning solution and the cushion
It is tempting to machine wash the cushion fabric. But, it is highly discouraged since it may ruin and weaken the patio fabric. So, you need to prepare the cushion for hand wash. For this, check the cushion fabric and its stain marks. Pretreat it to remove the cloud of clouds of dust and other debris. Use the nylon brush to sweep off the dry grime and dirt from the fabric.
Now, you have to prepare the patio cushion cleaner. Yes, you may choose heavy-duty laundry detergent to wash off the cushion fabric. But preparing a homemade solution will provide better cleaning results ata lowcost.
Follow these steps-
- Use warm water to fill up the bucket or the nearby tub. Make sure you don’t use too hot water, and your hands remain away from the warm water.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of laundry detergent in it. You could use any regular detergent that you use at home.
- Then, add 1/4th cup of bleach powder. It should be an oxygen-based bleach powder. Its main job is to brighten up the dull-looking color of your patio cushion.
Step 3: Wash patio cushions
You may wash the cushion in two ways. It includes-
- Soak the cushions right into the prepared cushion cleaner and allow it to soften the grime and stain for a few minutes.
- Alternatively, you may choose directly to use the nylon-bristled scrub brush. It will be a little tougher than the previous tip.
Dip the brush in the patio cleaning solution. Now, start from one end of the patio fabric and gently scrub off the entire fabric. You should not scrub abruptly. Instead, scrub from one specific side to another. It helps you in cleaning and removing the grimes and soils better. Also, if you follow one direction to wash the cushion, it won’t leave any unnecessary marks on the fabric. So, you will less likely need to re-clean the patio furniture cushion.
Also, cleaning in a specific direction means the fabric won’t have overlapping circles of debris and grime. It makes the washing process easy and fast.
Step 4: Rinse off the fabric
When you are satisfied with the fabric cleaning, you will have to rinse off the cleaning solution along with the remaining debris, grime, and dust from the cushion. You will need a garden hose to rinse off the fabric cushion.
You may also use a large tub filled with cold water to rinse off the cushion. Whichever process you follow, make sure you rinse off the cushion fabric multiple times. It will provide a cleaner-looking cushion.
Step 5: Let the cushion dry
Now, squeeze the fabric to remove water from it. Your squeezing should be gentle and not too forceful. Or it will weaken the fabric structure. Then, hang the fabric in an open and sunny area to dry off naturally. It helps prevent mildew development.
Step 6: Apply fabric protector
Fabric protector is used widely to keep the fabric structure intact for a longer period. Also, it helps to safeguard the fabric from stains and other grimes. So, your cushion fabric will be well protected from popsicles and dripping fruits. Also, it is a good idea if you have kids or pets at home since they will most likely drop juices or mugs full of coffee, tea, or milk that cause stains.
However, the following guideline will help you remove any stains from the cushion fabric quickly and effortlessly.
How To Clean Outdoor Cushions: Tips To Get Rid Of Stains
A cushioned fabric may have various stains on it due to many reasons. You also have to deal with these tough grimes when you clean patio cushions.
- Mildew growth is the most common problem with patio cushions. Use a soft bristle brush to remove the mildew. You have to work while the fabric is dry. Then, use a mixture of 1tbsp of bleach powder and laundry detergent. Apply it to the mildew area and let it work for at least 30 minutes. Then, use a bristle brush to wash it and rinse off the spot with clean water.
- Grass and tree sap are also tough stains. You will need to apply heavy-duty laundry detergent to get rid of such problems. We recommend you mix it with 1tsp. Of powder bleach and apply the paste on the stained spots for 20 minutes. Then, scrub and rinse off the area.
- Another annoying step to clean or maintain the patio furniture cushion is to deal with birds poop. You will have to wait until it dries off properly. Then, use a dull knife to remove the birds dropping. You may even use any visiting card for the purpose. Then, apply laundry detergent on it and rinse off the spot after a few minutes.
While you work with stains on patio cushion furniture, you have to be patient. If you scrub off the stains forcefully, it might weaken the stained spot. So, we recommend you to work gently as you scrub and rinse off the stained patio furniture cushion.
Watch: How to Clean Outdoor/Patio Cushions FAST & EASY
When you prepare the outdoor patio spot for the new season, you need to take care of a lot of things, from furniture cushions to fire pit setup. We prepared this guideline on how to clean patio furniture cushions to help you with the cause.
Once you have cleaned, dried, and rearrange the furniture cushions, it will be well worth the time you invested. You will love the fresh look and smell-free feel as you sit and relax on the lovely cushions to enjoy the evening or night. It truly will elevate the outdoor patio outlook.